Monday, September 22, 2014

Case Three: Maze Runner by James Dashner

                 
                                                  Song for Todays Review:    
                         
           

  Maze Runner
By: James Dashner

*Warning! Spoilers WILL be present. Spoilers Have Been Whited Out for First Time Readers.*
Maze Runner is set in, well, a MAZE, if the title didn't already give it away. A group of scientists from the WORLD IN CATASTROPHE: KILLZONE EXPERIMENT ,or WICKED for short placed teenage boys with their memories wiped into the Maze to test them and see if they will be the ones to find the cure to the elusive Flare disease brought on by the sun, the focus on the subsequent books. The main character, Thomas, is placed into the box that delivers the boys into the Maze. There, he is taken into the Glade, the only safe place in the maze, by those who have been put there before, who now call themselves Gladers. His arrival marks a change within the Glade as things begin to change with his presence. With a Maze that opens and closes at specific times and monsters called Grievers, which look like mechanic slug things, you'd think that just trying to find a way out and living everyday in fear and hardship was hard enough. But to top of all the people who are suspicious of you and  Grievers, who could sting you and cause you to go through the changing, when a girl, The FIRST mind you, is sent and called the last that will be ever sent, things will start shaking up your world even more. So what will it be? Use your head and find a way out? Or die?
Truth be told, It took me a while to finish this book. I've had it since summer, but I just couldn't find the time to finish it off, which surprises me since I usually finishes book that was Maze Runner's size in two hours or so. People seem to compare it to Hunger Games a lot, and I'll have my thoughts about that read out later on, so lets continue.

Plot

The story in itself sounds pretty interesting but simple. I mean, it's a maze. How much more specific could you get? But let me get this straight. Don't let the Maze scare you away. The book in itself is a puzzle to behold. It's not on the same level as The Hunger Games, as most people that have read both books have told me, but it's certainly unique in its own special way. The problem with the story though was how it wound up going on and on. They want to solve the maze, but it didn't stick too long. By the time I've dented at least a fourth of the book, I'm already taking a break and telling myself, when is Thomas going to get in the Maze and do something about it? They did get to it eventually and I know you have to fix character development, but a little more to read on would be nice. Using the readers desire to look forward to something is good, but don't smother them too much with time and details.
(3.5/5 Stars)
Depth
The book was obviously not light, but didn't dive in too deep. It brings a feeling of menace knowing that creatures are lurking outside the Glade, just waiting to attack them. People are sending them food and supplies along with a person every now and then. And what's worse? They don't know anything about themselves. It's scary isn't it? Knowing that you know nothing? At least death leaves you with your memory. The identity is the strongest point of a person. Then, you don't know where you are, you don't know who everyone is, you're trapped somewhere dangerous. This the book's strongest point. It didn't dip itself too much into the water, but not leave themselves open for an attack. 


                                    I think we have an Emergency!(8/5 Stars)                              


Style and Execution

The writing style was, at best, interesting. I mean, the usage of created words was kinda off at first, but it eventually rubbed on me. The book used every means of details to show me a world in pain. A world where hope is handed to young men, indicating how the youth is the future of this day. Way to go on philosophy here, but it sort of IS true. The book, in the end, ended up well written. As cliche or short as that sounds, that's the best I've got to say for the Execution.


(4/5 Stars)
Interest MaintenanceI'd have to say that my interest in the book stayed lukewarm. I liked the book, honestly. But usually when I read a book, I remove all attention from class(Yes I read during class instead of paying attention) and continue for hours on end if I have to and finish the book. That did not happen for Maze Runner. As much I liked the book, I didn't love it. If I did, I'd have finish it as fast as I finished Divergent or Hush, Hush. In 2 or 3 class or in a few hours. No, it took me a few weeks to get on the boat to the finish line. Like I said before, it started right, then before it got to its climax, it sort of went on and on. But it is, in all its right, a good book.
(3/5 Stars)

Creativity
Ok, this is the books second strongest point. It would seem, I dunno, less than original if it was ordinary maze. No, they weren't just simple lab rats. The story goes farther off than just a dangerous puzzle. It's got more to it. At first, I was rather weirded out with the terms the author came up with, but as a guy, I eventually got used to it. It felt like a more united Lord of the flies and the other used what he thought would occur when you trap a bunch of guys inside a maze. Then, there's outside the maze. I'll get on that when I start reading the second book. See, this is what got me returning. It may have went on and on, but it was creative enough to keep calling back to me.
I'd Kill for it(8.3/5 Stars)

Payoff

First off, Maze Runner is an incredibly hard to find book for a reason. You don't find any decent dystopian young adult books these days. Hunger Games? Over. Divergent? Over. The new books these days have... in my opinion, degenerated. Sorry for the readers of the new books, but honestly? They all feel like they've copied or are just really uninteresting. And though it's not a book I've added to my favorites, its done justice to the era of good books. Then again, good books are also very hard to find as well. The books I used to see in bookstores are usually out of stock. I'm going to assume that people have good eyes or that they just really stand out. So this book is totally worth it.


(5/5 Stars)
Overall
Maze Runner, like I said above, is pretty hard to find. Now that the movie has been released, I suggest you buy one as soon as possible because when the movie goes out of the theaters, the book is going to be gone as fast as a burning ant.


(31.8/30Stars.)
Get me out of this box! I have to buy the book!


Recommended Song When You Read This: Ivy(I The Mighty)


 *Please Be Noted That Review Cases Done By Thanos Venge is optimized for Computer Use and on Web Versions. That's why most of Thanos' Reviews would look Jumbled on Smart Phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment